The Melba theater was originally constructed as a mercantile store. It was eventually remodeled in Art deco style and reopened in 1940 to become one of the Arkansas' first cinemascope theaters. Though the theater closed in the early 1990s, repairs and alterations were made and it reopened in 2000. In 2015, just before the theater had to close its doors again, it was purchase with the goal of renewing this historic treasure. The downtown Main Street business district, which includes the Melba Theater, is included in the National Register of Historic Places.